ATTENTION: THE UNIVERISTY OF UTAH HAS ENACTED A HIRING FREEZE.
ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE HELD UNTIL THE HIRING FREEZE IS LIFTED.
LEARNING CENTER JOBS
The Learning Center strives to empower University of Utah students to succeed in their college career and beyond. Our tutoring services are intended to help students gain a deeper understanding of their course content as well as to develop transferable skills to help them become more successful students. Working as a tutor or Supplemental Instruction (SI) leader for the Learning Center offers students a great opportunity to grow as an individual and develop many valuable transferable skills.
Now accepting applications for Fall 2021.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for helping students to understand different subjects and develop transferable skills
- Assess, assist and encourage the students in the learning processes
- Review materials used in classes, explain various topics, and answers all the doubts and questions of the student regarding to that topic
- Functions are a supplementation to the class room teaching
- Enrolled as a University of Utah undergraduate student in good academic standing for the 2020-21 academic year
- Desire and enthusiasm for learning and promoting student success among peers
- Excellent communication skills
- Must have received an A or B in a specific course or equivalent course to be eligible to tutor for that course at the U
- Can tutor 5 or more in-demand, general education courses including but not limited to: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Math, Physics
Compensation & Hours:
- $9.50/hour with pay increases based on training completion
- Up to 20 hours/week
- Weekly team meetings/trainings will be scheduled during business hours based on the group’s class schedule
How to Apply:
Complete and submit the Tutor Application.
The Learning Center Program Manager will review your course history to check eligibility for employment.
Job Description & Responsibilities:
Undergraduate students are hired and trained as SI leaders for one of several selected courses. These courses generally include lower-division accounting, biology, chemistry, math, and physics courses.
Responsibilities of a leader include:
- Attend the assigned class (you will not enroll in the course)
- Review the reading material and other course assignments
- Plan and conduct 2 one-hour SI sessions a week*
- Attend start-of-term training and additional trainings throughout the semester
- Help students understand course content as well as develop transferable study skills
- *All SI sessions are a supplementation to students' class attendance
- Currently enrolled University of Utah undergraduate student in good academic standing
- Prior successful completion of SI-supported course or equivalent
- Demonstrated understanding of content
- Must demonstrate potential ability to complete all SI-related job duties
Compensation & Hours:
- $9.50/hour with pay increases based on performance and continued work as an SI leader
- Approximately 10 hours/week, including a weekly group training scheduled based on leader availability each semester
- Option to enroll in ED PS 5860 (an independent study course) for up to 3 graded credits. The requirements for this course are fulfilled by completing the SI leader responsiblities
How to Apply:
- Complete and submit the Supplemental Instruction Leader Application.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact us:
Office: Marriott Library 1738