In response to the impact COVID-19 is having on our university, we want to share the actions the Learning Center is taking to support our staff and students while continuing our services. Our mission is to empower University of Utah students to succeed in their college career and beyond – whether you are physically here or not.
Individual Tutoring: We will continue to offer tutoring to all University of Utah students through online sessions. We encourage you to communicate with your tutor to decide which platform would be best for your situation.
Learning Consultations: We are still offering free phone/video consultations. To schedule a consultation email Casey.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Main Office: The Learning Center main office staff will be participating in social distancing during this time. We will respond to phone calls and emails within one business day.
Get Connected with a Tutor:
- Request tutoring services.
- We will email you within 2 business days with tutor contact information.
- You will receive three free tutoring sessions each semester thanks to a generous donation from the Clark and Christine Ivory Foundation. Information regarding how to use your free tutoring sessions will be included in the email with tutor contact information.
- After using your three free tutoring sessions, you will need to purchase tutoring hours. Buy individual tutoring sessions online with a card or visit our office to use cash.
- You can apply for the Ivory Holmes Tutoring Scholarship by filling out this form. Scholarships will be awarded to University of Utah students who request funding. There is a limited amount of funding each semester. Once the funds run out, we will no longer be able to offer the scholarship for that semester.
- Use your order ID number on your email receipt as a proof of purchase when meeting with your tutor.
The Learning Center offers a free drop-in tutoring service that is available to the public. Currently enrolled University of Utah students will receive priorty. The drop-in tutoring center is located in the Marriott Library Knowledge Commons, Room 2130-N.
The Drop-in Center is closed for the remainder of the semester do to COVD-19 guidelines.
The Learning Center offers Supplemental Instruction (SI) for selected courses on campus. SI provides FREE organized study sessions which are open to any students in the course and are led by undergraduates who are selected and trained to be SI leaders.
The main goal of the SI program is to help students learn the course material and improve their course grade. In addition, we assist students in improving their study skills. We also provide students with an informal, personal, small group learning experience that helps them feel connected to other students and demonstrates the power of group study.
The Learning Center offers free one-on-one consultations to University of Utah students who want to improve their learning strategies. These consultations can range in topic of anything related to academic success including, but not limited to:
- time management
- study strategies
- test-taking strategies
- test anxiety
- learning styles
- critical thinking
- note-taking strategies
- and much more!
To schedule a free learning consultation, email Casey Hoekstra.
Faculty, staff, student organizations, and many others can benefit from the services offered at the Learning Center. Our center will tailor workshops or presentations to fit your needs, subject to staff availability. Topics include:
- Time Management
- Study Skills
- Test Taking Strategies
- Learning Styles
- Critical Thinking
- Reading / Note Taking Skills
These can be one-time workshops that meet during your course periods or they can be regularly-occurring workshops as a supplement to your courses. Complete the form to request a presentation/workshop.